Monday, September 25, 2006

To Blog or not to Blog...Is that the question?

I am writing an article for another journalism course on a speech given by John S. Carroll, former editor of Los Angeles Times, The Baltimore Sun and The Lexington Herald. His speech, “What Will Become of Newspapers?” outlines the demise of newspapers by “the flagrant betrayal of the reader” and the emergence of web based journalism.

As I try and find the will to live in this depressing state of journalism, I wonder how I will ever be able to keep afloat in a world where you really don’t need to buy newspapers or magazines to get the news.

In my search for some positive feedback and re-enforcement that I am not on the wrong career path, I stumbled over an article on Press Think entitled, “The Pros Gonna Blog You Under the Table.” It describes David Carr, a blogger at the New York Times as a quitter of his Carpetbagger blog. Apparently as stated in the article, “It was too hard to keep blogging with everything else he had to do!”

After reading the article, I wasn’t sure what to make of it, so I read the comments and reactions beneath it. They were pretty angry, protesting that journalists should stop whining and jump on the blogging bandwagon. I guess we have no choice… or do we? I wonder what advice Carr would give about all this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home