Monday, October 16, 2006

Big Brother is Watching You!

There is an interesting article titled, “Teen Questioned Over Online Threats Against President Bush” on foxnews.com. The story is about 14 year old freshman, Julia Wilson, who posted a comment, “Kill Bush,” atop a picture of President Bush, with a dagger stabbing his outstretched hand. Wilson replaced that image after learning it was a federal crime. I was shocked to read on that Federal agents pulled her out of her eight grade biology class to interrogate her. The agents brought her to tears and shook up her parents.

Was this young girl really such a priority to Federal agents that they needed to pull her out of school to find out if she was a serious threat to the president? This feels a bit “big brother-ish” if you ask me. This story makes me want to take down my MySpace page because I feel threatened that the government is looking at my images and reading my comments. The Fox news article also reported the text messages that Julia and her mother exchanged when the agents first demanded her for questioning.

The Associated Press reported, “Kirstie Wilson sent a text message to her daughter's cell phone, telling her to come straight home: ‘There are two men from the secret service that want to talk with you. Apparently you made some death threats against President Bush.’ ‘Are you serious!?!? omg. Am I in a lot of trouble?’ her daughter responded.”

After the story there was an interesting statement that said, “MySpace is owned by News Corp., which is the parent company of FOXNews.com.” Is this part of the article? If so, why is it there? I cannot help but feel uneasy about this story and the fact that we are all being watched online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home