Wednesday, October 04, 2006

You can have your wine and drink it too!

I come from the West coast, so I am use to wine and hard alcohol being sold in grocery and convenience stores. Personally, I don’t think that a law being passed in Massachusetts allowing this to happen will increase the number of DUI’s (driving under the influence.) I think that it simply makes it more convenient for people to purchase alcohol and will give smaller stores a chance to make a bigger profit.

So, when I saw the article on boston.com, “Critics of wine in food stores cite fear of more drunken driving,” I was intrigued. According to the Globe, “Kim Hinden, a spokeswoman for supporters of the question, said the liquor stores are trying to whip up public fears when the issue is really economic for them and an attempt to quash competition.”

I would be interested to find out if the DUI’s in Massachusetts are higher than that of California. I think that giving this alcohol in grocery stores thing a try is worth the potential risks. The Trader Joe’s in Coolidge Corner is doing just fine and I think others will follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home